Friday, November 25, 2011

Festival of Trees

The festival of trees has begun! We took the whole day as a family on Monday to set up our Holiday Glam with Barbie tree and were very happy with how it turned out. Jayne was our garbage transporter and had a blast doing it. We took some time touring downtown as well. That included a trip to Carrol's Cup and Corn shops, our favorites! We even had a lady tell us that it really meant a lot to her that we put my childhood holiday barbies on the tree.

For those that do not know, the festival of trees is an annual event that supports Hiawatha Homes. The organization provides housing and other programs for people with disabilities. They provide us with the tree, but everything on and under the tree we donated.

The opening night gala was fantastic as always. There was more food than I would ever want to eat. We got to look at all the trees in the dark lighting and sitting in the "snow". They always do lots of auctions and entertainment and it is the one night of the year that Adam and I get to dress fomally and go out alone. I even got 2 compliments on my dress, which is esspecially cool.

The festival runs through Sunday and we have to pop in to check on it throughout the time it is up. I have not been there a single day without hearing someone talking about the Barbie tree. I am so glad that my dolls are giving everyone so much joy. Plus the Post Bulletin bought our tree at the second highest price bracket, so I know they helped Hiawatha Homes financially as well.

No comments: